What is This Saint of the Year Devotion All About?


This isn't superstition. St. Faustina and her religious order did the same thing!

I would like to explain to you about the practice of picking a saint at random to be your “holy protector and intercessor” for the year. Actually, the saint is the one who chooses us though.The tradition of letting a saint “pick you,”is not a new one. St. Faustina wrote about it in her diary, "Divine Mercy in My Soul".
The excerpt is below. . .

“There is a custom among us of drawing by lot, on New Year's Day, special Patrons for ourselves for the whole year. In the morning, during meditation, there arose within me a secret desire that the Eucharistic Jesus be my special Patron for this year also, as in the past. But, hiding this desire from my Beloved, I spoke to Him about everything else but that. When we came to refectory for breakfast, we blessed ourselves and began drawing our patrons. When I approached the holy cards on which the names of the patrons were written, without hesitation I took one, but I didn't read the name immediately as I wanted to mortify myself for a few minutes. Suddenly, I heard a voice in my soul: ‘I am your patron. Read.’ I looked at once at the inscription and read, ‘Patron for the Year 1935 - the Most Blessed Eucharist.’ My heart leapt with joy, and I slipped quietly away from the sisters and went for a short visit before the Blessed Sacrament,where I poured out my heart. But Jesus sweetly admonished me that I should be at that moment together with the sisters. I went immediately in obedience to the rule.”

Excerpt from "Divine Mercy in My Soul, the Diary of St. Faustina"

Monday, August 5, 2013

I have had sooooo many write and tell me about their children leaving the church and how they want to pray to their children's saints for their redemption ... this is a beautiful prayer for all of you ... know that I am praying for them too.
 
PRAYER FOR CHILDREN WHO HAVE LEFT THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
 
Watchful Father, You gave me the responsibility to bring up my children in the Catholic Faith, which has the fullness of Your Son's teaching and the riches of His seven Sacraments. I pray for my child(ren) and any person who has left the Church founded by Your Son, Jesus. May they return to the one true Church in which all are one in You. With Your Son's death, I unite my prayers, works, joys and sufferings in reparation for any of my sins which may have led anyone away from you and Your Son's Church. Through the merits of Your Son's sacrifice on the cross, may they be brought back to Jesus and His Bride, the Church. I ask this through Jesus Christ, Your Son, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
 
Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us.
Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us.
St. Joseph, pray for us.
St. Monica, pray for us.
 
(keep in mind that St. Monica prayed for 30 years for the conversion of her son, St. Augustine! Never give up hope!)